Very very soon, because the exact date is not known quite yet, we will all be enjoying the new season of Dr Who. Everyone’s favourite Time Lord will give us even more thrills and chills and Amy and Rory! So without further delay, here is my Eleven Random Thoughts on Gallifrey’s most famous renegade.
11. The show started in the 1960’s, vanished from the late 1980’s to early 2000’s because of imbeciles, and is now back in full force. It just shows you, it is impossible to keep a good Time Lord down!
10. Of all the amazing actors to play the good Doctor, it seems like the most popular by far was David Tennant, even outstripping the one I grew up with Tom Baker. All over the space time continuum I can hear all the ladies (and some men) swooning for Tennant.
9. The Doctor Who Fan Orchestra. Just check out their facebook page. That is all.
8. I can never look at a statue the same way ever again.
7. Torchwood, the most excellent spin-off starring the most talented John Barrowman. This series is the far more harder edged sci-fi then the Doctor, and has the very annoying habit of killing off characters at an alarming rate. But when these shows crossed over, it was pure gold.
6. I have had the good fortune of knowing two Amy Ponds in my life. One I have met (Hi Elizabeth!) and one I have not (Hi Patricia!). From those two, and from the character of Amy, I now know that Gingers are a force to be reckoned with. And sometimes they learn archery.
5. My first Doctor was number four, Tom Baker. Didn’t it seem like he played the part for like ten glorious years? And didn’t we love every single one of them? Still tear up whenever I see K-9, Sarah Jane, or a Jelly Baby.
4. So which is bigger on the inside: The Tardis or Hermione’s handbag in Deathly Hallows? The jury is still out on this one, but I think the edge is on the Tardis because it’s got a pool. Why yes, I am reading Deathly Hallows right now, why do you ask?
3. The fans of the Doctor are the best ever. They have a Dr Who Society, Dr Who books (Who Is The Doctor?), and the most amazing costumes this side of Milliways. And double Gryffindor points to me for crossing the Geek streams.
2. I want a Sonic Screwdriver now. For real. Why didn’t Steve Jobs invent this? Or Einstein? Not Bill Gates, because then it would crash all the time.
1. This is the easiest one for me. Dr Who gave a favourite line of mine to collective fandom. Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey. Explains any and all plot holes or logic leaps the show encounters. You know the writers of Lost wished they had thought of this first. Imagine Hurley saying that?
With this list, my yearning for the return of Mr. Matt Smith and cohorts to my television screen is immense. If I can just find a Tardis, I could get their faster. Or something like that. I think. Now my head is starting to hurt.